[rrd-users] Re: Extracting data for text pased reporting

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Oct 8 00:44:57 MEST 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 04:51:54PM -0400, Kevin Welch wrote:

> I currently use a NMS with a RRD backend to monitor customer data circuits,
> and would like to use the same data to generate text reports that could be
> emailed to customers showing their bandwidth utilization for the month.  I

RTFM for "rrdtool graph" and for "rrdtool fetch".

> would like to basically be able to give them a Max Output, 99th percentile,
> 95th percentile, 80th percentile type information from month to month for
> the purpose of capacity planning.

It isn't difficult to program it *once* you have a Clear (yes, I wrote a
capital C on purpose) view of what you need.

"the 95th percentile" of what?  It will make a difference if you're using
one RRA or another.

If the previous paragraph didn't make sense to you, you should also RTFT
(read the fine tutorial) and get more experienced in using RRDtool.

> Since this data is already collected and stored in RRD files used to
> generate bandwidth graphs on our website

No, it is not.  The "raw data" is, the rest you have to calculate.
Raw data is in between quotes because it is not really the raw data. If
you don't know why it isn't, visit the faq site (faq.mrtg.org) and dig
your way into the various detailed descriptions of what happens with your
data.

Not to offend you but just some well ment advice:
Even if you find some scripts that seem to do what you need: You shouldn't
use them if you cannot write them yourself.  You can't write them yourself
or else you wouldn't have asked this question. Ergo, don't use the scripts.