[rrd-users] measure interface ERRORS

José Maria Costa Pereira jose.pereira at corp.vodafone.pt
Mon Oct 21 17:38:50 MEST 2002

Hi!

Let me try to explain what I would like to do and see if any of you has any
ideas...

Basically, I want to measure the number of packets with errors (OID
'ifInErros' from the MIB-II interfaces table) in the last 5 minutes.
For instance, imagine that the OID ifInErrors = 0 (the machine as been
rebooted) at 13:00.
At 13:05 the same OID ifInErrors = 19, another five minutes pass and the
value goes to 23, and so on ... when ever there are errors on that interface
the value will rise.

What I wanted to store was:
 13:00  13:05  13:10
   0     19      4

What data source type should I use? ... if I use GAUGE, I'll get
 13:00  13:05  13:10
   0     19      23
... and that's not what I want.

And any of the other data source types (COUNTER, DERIVE and ABSOLUTE) will
give me a measure per second.

Maybe if I put --step 1 (instead of the default 300 seconds) with a COUNTER
like data source, but collect the data in 5 minutes intervals I can "fool"
RRD to divide the measure captured by 1. But still capturing it in five
minutes intervals (using the crontab). Doing preciselly what I want.

Suggestions and/or comments are very welcome...

Best regards,

Jose Maria Costa Pereira
jose.pereira at corp.vodafone.pt

This message may contain confidential information or privileged material,
and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are not in the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
request a hard-copy version.