[rrd-users] Using STACK in combination with LINE1

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Oct 22 22:30:54 MEST 2002

Hi,

We're graphing MIN and MAX data together with the actual value. I used to
do something like this:

			AREA:ifin_min
                        STACK:ifin_diff#c0ffc0
                        LINE1:ifin_min#a0ffa0
                        LINE1:ifin_max#a0ffa0
                        LINE1:ifin#00a000:incoming

With ifin_diff being the ifin_max - ifin_min. So that I can colour the
space between the minimum and maximum value. But I was now reading through
the man-pages again and I noticed this:

  STACK:vname[#rrggbb[:legend]]
    Does the same as LINE?, but the graph gets stacked on top of the
    previous LINE?, AREA or STACK graph. Depending on the type of the
    previous graph, the STACK will be either a LINE? or an AREA. This
    obviously implies that the first STACK must be preceded by an AREA or
    LINE? -- you need something to stack something onto in the first place
    ;)

So according to this, I can STACK upon LINE1, so I could better do:

                        LINE1:ifin_min#a0ffa0
                        STACK:ifin_diff#c0ffc0
                        LINE1:ifin_max#a0ffa0
                        LINE1:ifin#00a000:incoming

But this doesn't work. My 'stacked' data is not being drawn. Instead of a
coloured area between the min and max lines it is white.

Is there a bug in rrdtool, is the manual wrong or is it my interpretation ?

Because I don't understand how a STACK can be "either a LINE? or an AREA".
(Does it make sense to stack lines ??)

Thanks in advance !
«Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors»