[rrd-users] correct RRD definition and graph timeouts

Paul Klinaftakis pkli at forthnet.gr
Thu Oct 24 13:43:04 MEST 2002

I know, I have been asking the list again and again ...
I searched the list archives and tried virtually anything to rectify the
problem I am facing
with the yearly graphs but no luck unfortunately :-(

Ok, here is the RRD definition I am now using:

--step 3600 DS:channels:GAUGE:3900:0:10000 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:8760
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:8760

What I want to keep inside the RRD is an integer value between 0 and 10000
every hour of the day for 365 days.
Since I am updating the database every hour, I chose the step as 3600 sec =
1 hour. Since I am storing some constant value, I use GAUGE. In conclusion,
I want to have data for each hour of the day for a whole year, so 365 * 24 =
8760 samples. I also want to monitor the max, therefore I keep a separate
RRA.
I guess I have the correct definition. However, although the daily, weekly
and monthly graphs are generated fine, the yearly graph gets stuck EVERY
time. I checked the data manually (dump) and everything seems fine ...

In general, is there any possibility the rrdtool graph utility to get stuck
and if so, in what circumstances?

Please help.

Paul