[rrd-users] Calculating percentages over time

tallen at csc.sctboces.org tallen at csc.sctboces.org
Wed Oct 30 16:19:14 MET 2002

Hi,

I'm new to the list, but I did search the archives before asking.  I'm
graphing different subnets for billing purposes.  Using GPRINT, I can get
AVERAGE bandwidth by subnet and in total, over the period of the graph,
easy.  I can calculate the % used then by that subnet, again easy.  But if
I do the percentages in the graph, the numbers get skewed, because it does
an AVERAGE percentage, rather than a percentage of the averages.  In other
words, if one subnet is active all night long, and no one else is on, that
subnet gets billed for 100% usage for the entire night, irregardless of
how much bandwidth they actually used.  I have a graph where 2 subnets
used the same bandwidth, but one is 17% and the other 26%!  Is it possible
to do math in the GPRINT statement?  This seems the easiest way to do the
calculation.  Is there another way I can get the bandwidth:AVERAGE divided
by the total:AVERAGE?

Thanks,

Tom