[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool-1.0.39 on Solaris 6 : configure error

Boismartel, Jerome jerome.boismartel at cantrex.com
Tue Sep 3 21:51:10 MEST 2002

Hi Gerhard,

Thank you for your help. I must tell you that I looked at the archives... As
I could not find anything really usefull for my issue, I decided to post my
message.
Anyway, I have found the problem. And I think this might interest other
Solaris/perl/rrdtool users.
I could not see where the error "./configure: test: unknown operator
-B/usr/ccs/bin/" came from. Was it GCC or Perl ? Well in fact it is perl.
I took the Perl package from sunfreeware site. This package includes a
compiled version of perl 5.8.0. The issue is that it was configured and
compiled with the following option :
-Dcc='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/'
For a reason that I cannot explain, Configure from rrdtool sources takes
that variable and try to pass it to the "test" programm. This one does not
recognise the -B argument.

The work around is to get source code of perl, configure and compile it
without the parameter (-B) :
sh Configure -Dcc='gcc'

Becarefull : During perl configuration questions, you will have to make sure
gcc -B/a/path/ does not show up. It did in mine... In such case, just
replace with 'gcc'.

Once perl is compiled and installed, we can configure/compile/install
rrdtool.

To make this complete, here is my env variables :
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
echo $PATH
/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin