[rrd-users] Re: [rrd-developers] rrd resize

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 6 23:08:00 MEST 2002

Today Mark Mills wrote:

> > > I noticed today when doing a resize (GROW) that some of the
> > > historical data in the not-being-changed rra's was zero'ed out.
> >
> > the smaller the rrds involved, the quicker we will be to pinnpoint
> > what is going wrong. Maybe the problem only occures when resizing
> > to big files ... maybe there is some variable which overflows ...
>
> As is usual, what went wrong was me. :)
>
> Once i did a rrddump I noticed that the data was still intact. What
> is killing me is that the graph period I was graphing is now covered
> by the enlarged shorter period rra that is full of zeros.
>
> So now my question is, does any one have a patch that will allow me
> to directly select the rra I want rather than letting rrdtool make
> up my mind for me. It seems a shame that it is reaveraging that data
> over and over even though it went to all the trouble to roll it up
> and store it.

Well, you could write a script which whizzes data from the low
resolution rras and fills in the gaps in the high res rras ...
note, this situation only occures after resizing ...

you could do this in perl and operate on the dump ... thatshould
not be all that hard.

Note also that rrdtool will pick the RRA which best matches the
resolution you request when graphing or fetching ...

tobi

PS:  such questions belong to the users list !

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland