[rrd-users] Re: Correcting for GMT lag on daily values

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Sep 7 04:54:30 MEST 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:39:33AM -0400, Joe Loiacono wrote:

> However, the times associated with the values in the database are set to
> the local time, and hence when a graph is generated the data is offset from
> the vertical lines which occur on the GMT midnight boundaries. Here in
> Maryland its 4 hours different (5 after Nov. 1), producing an unclean and
> confusing graph.

Time on your system should be local time.  Timestamps for RRDtool
should be similar to what

    perl -e 'print time()."\n"'

outputs.  GNU date will also do:

    date +%s

Vertical lines are set using a VRULE.  The timestamp used for
that should be build from local time, not UTC time.  This is
set by the application and not by RRDtool.  Using GNU date:

    date -d '03:00' +%s

gives me the local time 03:00 in the correct format for VRULE.

> I'm in the process of trying the 3600 step approach (first attempt
> failed...)

Don't forget you have to use a suitable heartbeat: 86400 or more!

cheers,
Alex