[rrd-users] Re: How does rrd now which AVERAGE to take?

Stephan Harren sh at abovenet.de
Sun Sep 8 21:01:11 MEST 2002

This depends on the time you choose for which the graph should be created.

To me, it makes sense, to create and feed the data-sources (in your example
AVERAGES) depending on the graphs that you would want to create.

For example :

You want to have a graph for the last twelve hours --> you should keep at least
enough 5 minute samples (144+) to graph this one.
You want to have a graph for the last 7 days --> you should maybe average every
30 minutes (6 samples) and keep enough 30 minute averages (336+) to graph this
one.
And so on ...

To keep it simple, analyze what you want to graph, and have your datasources
available for doing that. Easy to see, that if you just have an RRA for one day,
you can't take this for a graph that's for example 4 days long.

HTH,

Stephan Harren