[rrd-users] Re: MRTG failing to write/poll data when using LogFor mat: rrdtool

Thoenen, Peter Mr. EPS Peter.Thoenen at bondsteel2.areur.army.mil
Fri Sep 13 20:29:24 MEST 2002

Sven,

Actually narrowed it down to a different issue.  I am monitoring ~5000
devices, 70% which are down and I was failing to complete the interval in
the allotted time due to waiting for snmp timeouts (was getting "did not
finish iterval errors".  As the .cfg file is read sequentially this meant
even devices that were up were failing to be logged).  To be honest, not
sure where I planning to from here.

I can either

a) generate my .cfg w/ NOT using --no-down (won't make  boss happy)
b) create ~200 seperate windows services and then create a cfg for each
individual switch/router. (won't make me happy)

Either way not my ideal fix ... but works (tested both already, though b) on
a limited scale (5 services)).

If you feel you might be having a time out issue though, try this (from
Tobi..creator)

"this is certainly possible ... check the minimal required heartbeat
of the rrd files, it is normylly 2 steps which will cause rrdtool
NOT to accept updates which are more than 10 minutes appart ...

if you were using unix, you could use the mrtg fork option to
parallelize the snmp polling, which would cut down polling time
drastically ...

tobi"

Being the windows guys I am ... just not going to be a easy/quick fix for me
:(

Hope this helps,

-Peter