[rrd-users] Re: rrd data management

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Sep 17 01:20:17 MEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 09:51:17PM +0200, David Amiel wrote:

> I use mrtg & rrd to monitor my servers, but data savedfor more than 2 months
> are deleted (not exctaly deleted but there are less data stocked).
> I know it's the way of running of a rrdtool database, but I would like to
> change this behavior to keep 1 year of data at least.
>
> Is there a way to change this ? if possible on the fly.

rrdtool resize.

This will create another database which you should check and, when
you're satisfied with the result, which should replace your original
database.

One tip not in the documentation: don't create many extra rows at once,
just increase the amount by a few rows each week or so.  If you don't,
your "yearly" graph will look odd.

Alex