[rrd-users] Adding "0" instead of nothing when there's no data

Rejo Zenger subs-rrd-users at sisterray.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 17 19:30:09 MEST 2002

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to RRDtool, so bear with me. :)

I'm currently trying to create some graphics of the number of Usenet
postings to some newsgroups. I gather the data from a batchfile, created
by the newsserver. This data is read by a Q'n'D Perl script, which feeds
it to RRDtool.

Now, is there a way to have automagically entered a "0" as value for
those moments no entry was made? I have the data for the moments
postings to a newsgroup was made. The times there was no information, I
have (obviously) no data. For those moments I would need to code
something in this Perl script I'm writing. It would be much more easier
if RRDtool would suppose there was no feed at that particular time. Is
this possible?

If I would have a step of 1 second, inserting values like

1032277922 3
1032277923 2
1032277925 5
1032277926 2
1032277929 9
1032277930 5
1032277931 6

This would leave me with a graph with a line until 103227792, than a
hole at 1032277924, than a line from 1032277927 upto 1032277928 and a
line from 1032277929 onwards. What I want is not a no-line, but a line
at "0".

Thank you in advance,

--
# Rejo Zenger