[rrd-users] Re: Adding "0" instead of nothing when there's no data

Warrick FitzGerald wfitzgerald at livetechnology.com
Fri Sep 20 01:25:12 MEST 2002

Hi All,

I am trying to find a very simple script \ tool that will allow me to store
the response time of of web page using rrdtool.

The problem I am really trying to solve is this : When you have a number of
web servers reading directly from a database and a user complains that the
site is slow, it can be one of three obviouse reasons.

A. The user has a bad connection
B. The web Server is overloaded (or the application it is running is now
writen very well).
C. The backend database is slowing down.

I would like to write \ find out if anyone has seen \ writen a script that
will allow me two specify a list of URL's have some thing like Curl or WGet
request the page and then log the page delivery time using rrdtool.

That way when I see all URL getting slow .. I know its a DB issue and if I
see one slowing down relative to the rest I know its a server issue.

I can't be the first person trying to do this : )

Has anyone seen anything that can help me on my mission ?

Thanks
Warrick FitzGerald