[rrd-users] update rrd DB - empty

Augusto Castelan Carlson carlson at npd.ufsc.br
Fri Sep 20 17:03:37 MEST 2002

Hi!

I´m trying to improve if I learned something reading the tutorial.  I
started making a traffic data base from the tutorial and it works fine.
 Now I would like to graph how many interfaces are UP in my router, and
after put more router in the same DB.

I create a data base:
- rrdtool create test.rrd DS:number:GAUGE:100:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:24
Wich create a test.rrd file with a data source named number. The data is
gauge type. The max number is 100.   The round robin archive keep 24
samples of 5 minutes. The factor does not mean anything, because my step
is 1, or not?.
Is that correct?

To update de data base, I create a perl script (I´m not a Perl guru!)
wich run every 5 minutes that update like that:

#!c:\perl\bin\perl
use BER;
use SNMP_util;
use SNMP_Session;

$number = 0;

for (???)
 ### There is a code for count the interfaces that are UP.

$comando = "c:\\rrdtool\\bin\\rrdtool update c:\\rrdtool\\file\\ras.rrd
N:".$number;
system($comando);
    exit;

I would create the graph, but the data base is empty.  Always show:

- rrdtool fetch ras.rrd AVERAGE

1032533100: -1.#IND000000e+000
1032533400: -1.#IND000000e+000
1032533700: -1.#IND000000e+000