[rrd-users] Re: mrtg performance

Logg, Connie A. cal at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed Sep 25 23:20:37 MEST 2002

Sorry for the mis-information.  Several years ago (7?)I tried to monitor 4000 nodes with mrtg, and it did not scale...but noone suggested what you just did.

It sounds like mrtg can be set up to do the data collection and display asynchronously. Although I use mrtg for small collections, I never tried it for large collections after my experience several years ago.

With respect to the daemon, is there a signal which can be sent to the daemon to tell it to reload the configuration file? We have about 13000 individual catalyst ports on our network, with only about 6400 currrently active.  Each morning (actually twice a day) I model the network and build my mrtg (and other monitoring) config files so that only active switches and ports are actively monitored.  I would need to be able to send a signal to the daemon telling it to read in a new config file.

I am currrently running mrtg from crontabs. It sounds like I could improve the efficiency quite a bit by running it as a daemon, assuming I can send a signal to the daemon telling it reload the config file.

Thanks, I appreciate the "correction"!
Connie

Connie Logg - Network Analyst - 650-926-2879
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
MS 97; 2575 SandHill Road; Menlo Park CA 94025
"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road"

-----Original Message-----
From: Tobias Oetiker [mailto:oetiker at ee.ethz.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 1:57 PM
To: Logg, Connie A.
Cc: 'Augusto Castelan Carlson'; 'rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch'
Subject: Re: [rrd-users] Re: mrtg performance

Today Logg, Connie A. wrote:

> You need to look for another way to do it.   MRTG does not scale
> well. One idea is to write scripts to collect the snmp stats and
> log them to flat files.  This collection can be done in less than
> 5 minutes.  Write an analysis script and plotting script which
> run asynchronously to the data collection.

Connie,

I must object, of you use the fork option in mrtg the snmp data
collection can be improved a lot ... further can you run mrtg as a
daemon which saves the startup time which again is substantial with
a large config file ...

and last you can use rrdtool for logging within mrtg which will cut
down logging time massively ... depending on the amount of
diskcache (ram) your box has, it will be able to log between 30 and
1000 values a second ...

Oh, and you are using Unix I hope...

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland