[rrd-users] Wrapping counter

Bas Rijniersce bas at brijn.nu
Wed Apr 23 17:23:30 MEST 2003

LS,

I use RRDtool to monitor some things on my home server. One of the items
is the Apache webserver statistics. I used the following RRD

... DS:totxs:COUNTER:600:U:U DS:totkb:COUNTER:600:U:U ...
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:288 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:336 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:744
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:730 RRA:MAX:0.5:1:288 RRA:MAX:0.5:12:744
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:730

The totxs DS is the counter of number of accesses logged by apache, if
Apache is restarted, this counter returns to 0. The RRD manual says:
"The COUNTER data source assumes that the counter never decreases,
except when a counter overflows. The update function takes the overflow
into account"

I guessed that this intelligent wrapping would also be true for wraps
like I described above. Unfortunately that didn't work for me. Have a
look at the apache week graph at http://www.brijn.nu/server

A hundred million hits is not something my server would survive :-).. As
a result the significant part of the graph is scaled out of sight.

What is the correct way to make sure this doesn't happen again??

Bas