[rrd-users] Re: Total Traffic

Luz Berger luz.berger at bergerl.de
Mon Aug 25 07:29:20 MEST 2003

Try http://www.geocities.com/josef_wendel/mrtg_total.html. This should be
what you are looking for. If you need a more elegant solution running under
windows, please mail me off-line.

Be advised, the totals are derived from taking the average samples rrd is
storing. So, if you add the hourly totals for a day, you will find a
mismatch with the totals for that day at the previous level. This is because
you do not have sufficient high-res samples and rrd uses whatever it has
available through its internal processing.

This script is ideal when you want to get an idea about the total traffic
running through a particular interface. If you want accurate numbers for
billing and such, totaling rrd values is not the right answer. You may want
to look at some of the flow based tools.

I hope this helps.

Luz Berger
Berger Network Consult
Http://www.bergerl.com