[rrd-users] 1400 *.rrd files to work with ...

Eyer Michael Michael.Eyer at khe.siemens.de
Tue Aug 26 10:53:56 MEST 2003

Hi,

i have 1400 *.rrd files with data in it and i need to work with it.
These files have all the same structure and now i have to merge these
files in a reasonable way.

Example:

                        Sw1------
                  a      |
                R2-------|
              b |        |
     Core ------|
                |       Sw3--------
                |        |
                R1-------|

                        Sw4----

This is a Sample structure of the Network and from all the Routers (R)
and Switches (Sw) we have a lot of Data from all interfaces.

A easy operation over the network would be:
Core + R2 + Sw1 + Sw2 = Sum1

A more complex could be:
R2(a) - Sw1 = E    to Compare the Trafic  Sw1 + Sw2 = R2(a)

In a Network with 1400 *.rrds there could be endless situations :)

Now my question:

Has anyone seen/build a script/tool where i can choose a bunch of
Interfaces, group them and make wild mathematic operations with it?

Maby like this:
* I have a config file with 10 interfaces
* then i run my script
* the scrip analyses the conf file and sees all 10 interface should be
  add together
* next the script gives me an rrd graph with the solution

A ideal solution would be a point + click web interface with all my
interfaces instead a conf file, because all operations are done
on the fly, not on a regular base.

And dont forget, it's not about data collecting, the data is already
there, it's only about graphing over multiple rrds.

It would be nice if someone found such a solution or provide me with
a little help. I've already searched the mailing list, but found no
siutable solution for me. (or overlooked it)

Best Regards,

Michael Eyer

--
here are two major products to come out of Berkeley:
LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.