[rrd-users] Re: DS Choice

paul at oninit.com paul at oninit.com
Wed Dec 3 00:24:50 MET 2003

Corey

that's what it looks like but ....

The average delta for the last six weeks is 40, the spike is 10^6
greater.  I would have expect the 'averaging' functionality to ignore
the spike, maybe not immediately but eventutally.

While removing the spike from the rrd file is obviously possible, the
development server has 2000 files, the live server nearly 10 times that.
It's not practical to reset every file everytime the database(s) are
restarted.

It would appear that I'm stuck :-(((

Cheers

"Fruitman, Corey" wrote:

> My guess is that your spike is dwarfing all of your legitimate usage to the point that can't see it on the graph.  The data's probably there, but because of the scale of your graph, it isn't visible.
>
> Do an rrd fetch from the command line to see if your data is in the RRD.  If it's there (I suspect that it is), then you've found the problem.  Replace that spike with NaN (RRDTool assumed that your counter rolled over instead of resetting) and your graphs will go back to normal.

[cutting]

--
Paul Watson             #
Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory