[rrd-users] Re: How does Linux Upgrade affect MRTG?

Michael Barnes mbarnes at compsci.wm.edu
Mon Dec 15 16:23:42 MET 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 11:05:22AM -0300, Davi de Paula Cabral - DATAPREVRJ wrote:
> I am thinking about upgrading my MRTG/RRD server from Red Hat 7.2 to Fedora,
> but I`m afraid because of versions compatibility: Perl, libraries, and so
> on.
>
> I hardly tried to upgrade to Red Hat 8.0 first, but I had this problem with
> Perl and libraries.
>
> The real question is: how to manage these version problems?

My real question, is why upgrade?  Yes, I know that RedHat is doing
funny things lately, but I'm typing this from a RedHat 6.2 box.  A
coworker has his workstation running RH 6.0.  These machines are only
rebooted because of power problems.

I only upgrade servers when there is a new feature or upper limit that
has been removed from my current release.  I upgrade my personal and
test boxes when I have time so I can stay current.  Personally, I was
not real happy with RH8, not sure about RH9.  I've heard bad stuff about
Fedora.

Mike

--
| Michael Barnes <mbarnes at compsci.wm.edu> |