[rrd-users] Re: Bug with "MAX" RRA ?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Dec 30 15:54:25 MET 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:58:48PM +0100, Paul Courbis wrote:

> I'm trying to setup an RRD database to kkep a track f "MAX" values of a
> counter. My problem is that the values are transformed depending on the
> timeslot alignement. That is, if I setup a RRD database receiving a data
> every minute, the value is used unchanged if it's store on the beginning
> of the minute, while it is transformed (average with previous value) if
> it's entered some second laters.

That's the normalization process kicking in.

> here's a little shell script that produces 2 curves, one with data
> stored on the beginning of a minute, the other 30 second laters. As I
> keep "MAX" values, curves should be the same (in my mind at least) but
> it's not the case.... Run this script, it'll create a "demo.gif" graph
> showing the problem.

MAX has to do with RRA.  Rates are going to the RRA _after_ normalizing
is done.

Try your script after changing the following:

- change "step" from 60 to 1
- for each RRA, multiply the pdp_per_cdp value by 60

(hint:
 1*60 == 60*1 ,
 normalizing 1 second is different from normalizing 60 seconds)

> If anyone can explain...

I did, countless times.  Please find them on the web, archives, google

HTH
Alex