[rrd-users] Re: Storimg 5 min data for 2 yr

Brander, Eric Eric.Brander at ACS-INC.com
Mon Feb 3 20:37:09 MET 2003

After creating the RRD with these parameters, will you then be able to tell
MRTG to use it, and will it then continue to store the 5-minute data?

Eric Brander
ACS
Texas CHIP Account
Sr. Communications Engineer - Information Systems Department
512.336.3331
Eric dot Brander at acs-inc dot com

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Werbowy [mailto:Andrew_Werbowy at cbc.ca]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 1:22 PM
To: chrobb at indiana.edu
Cc: rrd-users at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [rrd-users] Re: Storimg 5 min data for 2 yr

very good point.. Thanks

>>> Chris Robb <chrobb at indiana.edu> 02/03/03 02:17PM >>>

We do the same thing, except we don't do MAX for the 5-minute data. I'm
not sure that gives you anything since you're polling every five minutes.
The Maximum of one polling interval is whatever you get for that poll. You
can cut your files down to about 3.3MB by getting rid of that.

-Chris

Chris Robb
Indiana University Global NOC
Abilene/TransPAC Network Engineer
chrobb at iu.edu  Desk: 812-855-8604 Cell: 812-325-8199

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Andrew Werbowy wrote:

> I got request to store 5 min MRTG data for 2 yr. I know what it is not
possible with MRTG, so I will have to use RRDTools. I read basic stuff about
RRD and looks like I would have to do something like this:
>  rrdtool create myrouter.rrd         \
>             DS:input:COUNTER:600:U:U   \
>             DS:output:COUNTER:600:U:U  \
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:210240     \
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700      \
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775     \
>             RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797    \
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:1:210240          \
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700          \
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775         \
>             RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797
> note 210240 which is 2 year of 5 min stats (I think). Database would be
6.8 meg big per switch/router/server interface.