[rrd-users] gauge or derivate

Holger.VanKoll at swisscom.com Holger.VanKoll at swisscom.com
Tue Feb 4 15:03:39 MET 2003

Hello,

assume you have a host with an ethernet-interface. Old ethernet (not
swichted), with collisions.

You look at the host, see f.e. 123456 collisions and 88 days uptime.

You dont know if
- there is a constant rate of collisions
- there are no collisions most of the time but there were some high
loads that produced all those collisions.

I want to use rrdtool to know this in future. Its no problem to get data
(number of collisions) every 10 minutes, that should be enough.

So I could
- use gauge and divide the measured number of collisions by the uptime
of the host before feeding it into the rrd
- simply use derivate.

Which way will give me a better view of when collisions happened?
Both ways will handle a counter-reset (reboot), correct?

Regards,

Holger