[rrd-users] Creating graphs with RRDTOOL that looks like a MRTG graph

João Marques Ferreira joao at cbpf.br
Fri Feb 7 21:05:36 MET 2003

Hello folks,

I would like to monitor my network devices using the graphs created with RRDTOOL.
I would like this graphics to look like the same created with MRTG.

I created the RRD using the following comand (line breaks added here for reading purposes only)

rrdtool create myrouter.rrd
DS:input:COUNTER:600:U:U
DS:output:COUNTER:600:U:U
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

And then I'm feeding the RRD with the following code:

rrdtool.exe update myrouter.rrd N:$diff_in:$diff_out ($diff_in and $diff_out are values obtained from a PHP script)

The following code build the graphics:

rrdtool.exe graph myrouter-day.gif --start -86400 -v "Bits per Second" -t "My Router"
DEF:inoctets=myrouter.rrd:input:AVERAGE
CDEF:inoctets_bits=inoctets,8,*
DEF:outoctets=myrouter.rrd:output:AVERAGE
CDEF:outoctets_bits=outoctets,8,*
AREA:inoctets_bits#00FF00:In
LINE1:outoctets_bits#0000FF:Out

With this I'm not getting the same graph MRTG builds for the given router/interface.
Can anyone help me ?
Thanks in advance and sorry for english mistakes coz I'm a Brazilian... :)
João Marques
joao at cbpf.br