[rrd-users] from MRTG to MRTG2RRD.cgi - differences in trends plotted.

PRASAD GADGIL /INFRA/INFOTECH prasad.gadgil at icici-infotech.com
Sat Feb 8 07:57:34 MET 2003

hello,

A few weeks back, I needed to move my targets from
MRTG to RRD. What started as a few targets polled
from MRTG quickly turned into quite a few, and five
minute poll on the old server I was duing this on, was
100 % utilised all the time! So, I decided to move to
RRD through MRTG. i.e. using the cgi scripts like
14all.cgi OR mrtg2rrd.cgi.

I found that mrtg2rrd.cgi was almost exactly equivalant
to MRTG. I then ran it on a target along with pure MRTG
poll also, to compare the graphs.

Unfortunately I found that values for,
max read for WEEKLY graph
max read for MONTHLY graph
max write for MONTHLY graph

were substantially different. I had disabled yearly graphs,
so don't know about them.I emailed the author with
relevent details. But didn't get a response. Probably,
he must have been kept from looking at this due to his
other commitments.I would have liked to have read
through the source but couldn't manage it then. My server is

still all worked up.

In case someone has moved to mrtg2rrd.cgi and not
compared the graphs from both, pl. note this and check now.

If someone has figured out, why this difference, would you
pl.
share the same.

Since MRTG in next major release will be moving over to
only RRD based operation, maybe this will also be useful to
many who might want the exactly same look as MRTG
and correct trends being reported.

regards,
prasad gadgil

--

"This e-mail message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. It
should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have erroneously