[rrd-users] Out of sequence data input issue.

Daniel A. Murray murdan at cox.net
Sat Feb 15 22:06:27 MET 2003

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for sharing whatever insight you may have..

I am using RRD to store data and generate completion time graphs for a sequence of processes.

The process auto-starts a new instance every x minutes.  Upon completion, a log is generated giving start time and run time.

Assuming that the runtimes are all less than the auto-start interval, there is no problem, however this is not always the case.

The generated graphs need to show 'real-time' results, so if instance 2 and 3 complete normally, and in sequence, I can update the counters properly. sometime later, instance 1 completes and needs to be logged.  How can I do that?

What I need to be able to do is to input data to the RRD file in random order rather than just a linear order.  Is this possible?

Errors are being generated:
ERROR: illegal attempt to update using time 1045337404 when last update time is
1045339205 (minimum one second step)