[rrd-users] Re: blank data

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jan 15 00:15:37 MET 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 05:31:20PM -0500, Nate Johnson wrote:

>  rrdtool update connections.rrd N:${ftpsessions}:${sftpsessions}:${logins}

> I am generating the integers with a shell script, and then pluging them in

So you *think* ${ftpsessions} is a number other than 1.
Don't assume this is true.  Be sure it is.

For instance: copy the line "rrdtool update "...  and insert "echo"
in front to get "echo rrdtool update conne"...

This shows you what's happening and it gives you output to show
us (the list, not me) what is happening if still necessary.

Always break down the problem into multiple parts.  Currently you
don't know if you need to debug your shell script, rrdtool or the
interaction between the two.

Just a hint:  If rrdtool would fail on a simple line like
"rrdtool update connections.rrd N:21:23:25" then it wouldn't
be such a success.  Therefore it is probably something outside
RRDtool that's failing...  "${ftpsessions}:${sftpsessions}:${logins}"
isn't substituted with "21:23:25"

Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit