[rrd-users] Re: How does rrdtool behave if I store 5-minute-values for one year?

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Thu Jan 30 13:48:57 MET 2003

rrdtool uses the values the rrd holds. For the given time frame you want
to graph, it will try to take the highest resolution data.

If you just store 5 minute samples, it will never even think of using a
2 hours average.
2 hours average samples can only be displayed if your rrd database has
an RRA that averages over 2 hours.

you always need 1 RRA (=consolidated data) in your database, even if it
just consolidates single samples.
See the tutorial on the rrdtool website for more info.

Serge.