[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool graph more average :)

Warnes, Jason SktnHR jason.warnes at saskatoonhealthregion.ca
Wed Jul 23 23:51:38 MEST 2003

Unfortunately you are going to be limited by the resolution of the data
being stored in the RRD.  If its set to only store hourly values, that's how
they are going to be displayed when they are graphed.  :-(  So what I could
think of that might help is either:

a) Use the FETCH function and get the data stored in the RRD and then graph
it with another application and interpolate the missing values.

b) Create a RRD with a higher step value to get greater resolution and then
make "fake" entries in your RRD to average out the previously recorded value
with the current one.  For example if you use a step value of 60 (1 for each
minute) for the RRD and then lets say you have a value of 19.5 currently
stored in the RRD at 00:00, then at 01:00 you receive a value of 18 from
whatever you're monitoring.  Then if you make even intervals of values for
the missing minutes between 00:00 - 01:00 that decrement from 19.5 to 18 and
store those in your RRD for their appropriate times and then store the 18 at
01:00 if may help smooth out the bumps a bit.

I personally haven't tried it, so I don't know what it would look like when
you do.  I'd be curious to see if you think it's worth a try.

Anyone else have ideas/comments?

Jason...