[rrd-users] Re: No data marked as INFINITY on RRD

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Jun 6 00:14:46 MEST 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 01:19:03PM -0400, Sebastian Castro wrote:

> When I kill the program, for those intervals I haven't put data, the
> graph show them as a veru high value. Por example, if I've got samples
> around 200 each time, for the period where there is no data, the graph
> shows values near to 6M or more.

Most likely no, the problem does not occur when you stop your program.
It will occur when you restart it.  You are telling rrdtool the current
value is 0 (or some other small number) and this is just another case
of the counter-reset-which-is-detected-as-a-counter-wrap.

> How can avoid this behaviour?

RRDtool does this:

if (current_value < last_value)
then
    assume current_value is 2^32 larger
fi

This has been discussed many times. You should be able to find it in
the archives of this list.

1) do not tell rrdtool any rate is a proper rate ("U"nlimited maximum)
2) use derive in stead of counter, and set the minimum allowed rate to 0
3) make sure your front end tells rrdtool the current rate is unknown at
   startup.  You do not know anything about the past so you cannot enter
   a value as the current rate

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit