[rrd-users] Re: remstats : dns-collector

Thomas Erskine thomas.erskine at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 19 16:08:36 MEST 2003

At 09:52 2003-06-19, Ed Schmollinger wrote:
 >On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 07:25:04AM -0400, Thomas Erskine wrote:
 >> I'm sorry, but these rrds aren't likely to help people who need it.  I'd
 >> recommend djbdns instead, which does produce logs which can be
 >> analyzed.  Unless newer versions of bind have some more reasonable method
 >> of getting stats out, I can't offer anything better in remstats.
 >
 >BIND9 writes to the statistics-file when you do 'rndc stats'.  You
[snip]

Thanks for your kind offer of information.  I can (and will) update the rrd
to use this, but can't test it any longer as I have no installation to try
it on.  Does it maintain the counters between runs, or only since startup?

 >The statistics-file in question is of the format
 >+++ Statistics Dump +++ (1056027600)
 >success 24373098
 >referral 123288
 >nxrrset 2534924
 >nxdomain 1513560
 >recursion 25508236
 >failure 11206355
 >--- Statistics Dump --- (1056027600)
 >The numbers listed after success, referral, etc are all counters, and
 >the number in parenthesis on the "Statistics Dump" line is the time at
 >which the stat dump happened.

 >BIND8 writes statistics to the standard named log, assuming that you've
 >configured your logging options correctly.  Those are the XSTATS and
 >NSTATS lines, read DNS and BIND by Albitz and Liu if you feel a need to
 >decode them.  (Your effort is probably better spent on updating to
 >BIND9.)

Since people ought to be updating to bind9, and since I can't test either
version, I'm disinclined to include bind8.

 >Both of those are fairly lightweight, and shouldn't cause any noticable
 >impact on your nameservers.

This is important info for me.

Thanks again for this usefull summary.

Thomas Erskine <thomas.erskine at sympatico.ca> +1.613.591.8490