[rrd-users] Topo Nav Tools for Mrtg/RRD data - infraMon

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Mon Mar 3 22:24:40 MET 2003

Hi folks,

In the past I had indicated I had some graphical navigation tools which may be of interest to this list. I was going to publish a doc when some interest was shown but I had company/PR issues. Well things have changed a bit so I have a doc to share now.

I am trying to gauge the interest in these tools to determine the worthiness of effort to make them publically consumable as shareware. This would mean a LOT of work for me I'm sure and I'd like to get a pulse on whether I should start the efforts or not bother. So if you follow the pointer, read the doc, and find yourself saying, "Cool stuff, I'd give it a try" send me an email saying so (or with questions). Or just the opposite if you think the world does not need it and it adds no value. Generally I'm calling it "infraMon" now and some of the topics/tools are:

- scripts to automate cfgmaker-like functions putting things in the proper file formats & create device/links db
- Graphical Navigation to metrics via PNG Topology Maps (and their creation), also maps have link colors based on speed, utilization, or response time
- Web-based mrtg TopN capabilities
- Status poller for devices and links with Notifiation and Fault Isolation features
- Generic Web-based Alarm Monitor to view both Status and Performance (mrtg) alarms simultaneously
- Web-based CLI tools for Cisco IOS and CAT devices

Put them all together and you have an NMS-like environment that simply cuts to the chase for network mgt. Be warned, it is a long doc and you will need extra java. The htm version shows the graphics better and the doc version is probably better for printing.

http://webpages.charter.net/bwoodcock/inframon_tools.htm

http://webpages.charter.net/bwoodcock/inframon_tools.doc

Again, email and/or comments here will help motivate (or put a scare into me ;-) ).

cheers,
brad...