[rrd-users] java script / rrdcgi / xslt

Sonja Pieper spieper at schlund.de
Tue Mar 11 10:15:54 MET 2003

Hi,
thought I'd share a little since my project is now finished and I found
out some nice things. For my little project here I embedded some java
script routines to add dynamic to my rrdcgi page.

It works really nice and you do not need two script handlers. So all the
forms to enter which rrd-graphs should actually be desplayed are handled
by java script and at the same time rrdcgi handles the whole graphing
issue. I included a sample file for those interested.

Another issue I had tons of trouble with was that the input that rrdcgi
expects and of course allows is not "well-formed" xml, which is really
bad if you want to integrate your stats into some project using xslts

The workaround took me some time to find so here it is: (most people
will probably know this but maybe some will not)

<xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">
         <![CDATA[<RRD::GRAPH ]]></xsl:text>

This makes an xslt transformator output  "<RRD::GRAPH"
and ignore that it is not wellformed XML. This is treated like "normal
text".

What is also nice is that I had no trouble with the java-script in the
xsl-stylesheet. And btw: XSLT really helped generate those huge
graph-descriptions.

If noone is interested in this please ignore :-)

Ciao
Sonja

--
sonja.pieper at schlund.de, Tel: 91374-370

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to
keep your mouth shut. --Ernest Hemingway

-- Type: text/plain
-- Size: 2k (2143 bytes)