[rrd-users] (Newbie question) Can rrdtool 'update' from a file?

Gareth Oliver GarethO at planwell.com.au
Thu Mar 13 00:08:27 MET 2003

Hi folks,

rrdtool newbie here, so please be kind ;-)

I've installed rrdtool on RH 8.0 Linux.

Can the rrdtool 'update' feature use a file as an input? For example, I have a simple script with two data pieces (date and ping speed, comma delimited) that looks like:

1047510374,63.9
1047510375,60.5
1047510376,291
1047510377,61.0
...etc
(What I am trying to achieve is a graph of ping speed between two servers on our network)

Can I use this import file with a rrdtool update an rrd database file? If so, would you be kind enough to detail how I would do this?

Also, if what I am doing can be achieved easier, again could you detail how.

(Like I said, newbie questions!! ;-) )

Kind regards, and thanks in advance,

Gareth