[rrd-users] I need some user level questions answered

Derek Belrose derek at omegabyte.com
Fri Mar 14 22:46:22 MET 2003

Look guys,

All I need are some really basic user level questions answered,  because
i'm seeing some really inconsistency with how RRD is reporting data
back.

I have mrtg monitoring a HP Procurve switch and storing it's values in
RRDTool.  The data looks like it's working fine, no problems so far.

Now, when I graph the the last week, month, and year, I also add a
'CDEF:total=ds0, ds1, +' and a
'GPRINT:total:AVERAGE:%lf'

I started the monitoring about 5 days ago, but the total values are all
different.  Shouldn't they be the same?  Total values for --start are
'-1w' '-1m' -1y'

I figure because less than One week of data is collected, shouldn't the
three totals be equal?  If not, why?

I have rrdtool-1.0.41 installed on FreeBSD.  It's reading data from an
HP Procurve switch.  I just need to know why I'm seeing inconsistent
data.