[rrd-users] Re: HRULE/Upper limit

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun May 4 14:41:36 MEST 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 04:04:02PM -0700, Ketan Patel wrote:
> Hello, I have a little problem with HRULE/Upper limit value while plotting the graph.  The graph is for memory (RAM) consumption. For a graph covering average values for one week, the values range within 150-250MB. Maximum available memory is 654MB. In graph, I have set HRULE:654 and also specified "-u 660" but graph created shows upper value on y-axis as 250. It doesn't strech upwards to cover 660 hrule line. Also, lower value starts at 150MB. When I set "-l 0", it shows values from 0 to 250 but still doesn't cover 660. How to get a graph showing values from 0-660?  Also, GAUGE memory values retrieved from target are in KBytes. So, when I plot them, do I need to convert them into MBytes to show correct values? Does "--base" converts it automatically (I tried using it but the result was same, so I guess it is not doing the conversion.) Another target machine has 1GB of memory, so what shall be HRULE/upper limit value in that case?  I know I am missing something very obvious here. Any insight is highly appreciated. Thanks a lotk2

HRULEs do not show up outside the graphed area.  This way you can
define them so that they will be used *if* the read data is high
enough.

If you tried to set the upper-limit to 660 and it didn't work, you
probably were looking at an old image.  This option defines the
minimum value for the upper side of the image so 600 should have
been visible.

Make sure you're not looking at a cached image.

--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit