[rrd-users] Re: [mrtg] converting sparc rrd > x86 rrd

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu May 8 10:24:57 MEST 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 10:53:27AM +1000, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:

> One thing I didn't take into account is the architecture changes, I have all my SPARC rrd files, but the new accounting box complains about them being the wrong architecture every time MRTG runs.
>
> The new x86 box is working fine, but I would very much like to import the old SPARC data in, as it has almost a years worth.
> I have all the old data sitting on my hard drive.
>
> Is this possible ?  Keeping in mind I'm not very advanced in using rrdtool...

I have to assume the RRD files are setup the same.  If so:

- At the same moment create a dump on both platforms.
- Create a new ascii file, using the recent part of one
  file and the old part of the other file.
- restore the newly created file on the desired platform

This is something you need to do by hand (using tools of course).
Get yourself up to speed on the format of rrdtool dump files,
it isn't that hard.  The date and time per row is specified in
the xml file, the properties of each RRA are specified and so on.

HTH
Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit