[rrd-users] Re: Step vs. Heartbeat

Thomas Erskine thomas.erskine at sympatico.ca
Thu May 8 14:00:39 MEST 2003

At 07:16 2003-05-08, Jeff Rodriguez wrote:
 >So would it be correct to say that Step is only used as a multiplier for
 >RRAs?

No.  Step tells the spacing of the original data points.  This is critical
and not related to RRAs.  Combined with the start, it specifies the
timestamps for all future updates.  If you don't update at exactly those
timestamps (start+step, start+2*step, ...) rrdtool will interpolate to
figure out what the value would have been at the correct time-stamp.  For
many things this doesn't matter greatly.  If you want precise data, this is
important.