[rrd-users] rrdtool - making small readable graphs?

dmahler at telcordia.com dmahler at telcordia.com
Thu May 15 14:27:43 MEST 2003

I frequently need to put lots of rrdtool graphs on a single web page,
usually trying to create a dashboard effect for a particular service.
Though the content is great,  I have been unsuccessful in consistently
creating graphs that are readable and clear when small.

The standard graph size I have been using is "WIDTH=480 HEIGHT=300 ".  this
is nice and clear.   looks really good.

But.... when I try to make it smaller, like "WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=90 " , it is
just to blurry to be usable.

- is it because I have changes the ratio of height to weight?
- or is 90 just too sort?
- are there other options I can use to make it clearer?   removing grids?
playing with other options?

what are other people using for height and width?  what is the trick to
making clear (and small) graphs?

thanks for any help

Don Mahler
SAIC/Telcordia