[rrd-users] Re: Many interfaces - HELP

Thomas Erskine thomas.erskine at sympatico.ca
Mon May 19 17:49:05 MEST 2003

At 03:32 2003-05-19, KAMARAD, David wrote:
 >Hi all,
 >

 >  I have problem with my RRD. I have my own perl sript which collect the
 >data from many routers. I need data from many interfaces on those routers
 >but i don't know how i can save this data. I want only one rrd data file for
 >one routers with many interfaces but i don't know how i can save and then
 >read the values for each interface from one data file.

You really don't want to combine the data from all interfaces into one RRD
file.  What happens when you decide to add another interface?    Either
you're faced with the ugliness of unloading the existing data and patching
it to add room for the new interface, or you have to deal with the ugliness
of having some interfaces in the main rrd and some elsewhere.  Given that
rrdtool easily deals with making graphs combining the data from multiple
rrds, I can see no reason to put all the interfaces in one rrd; multiple
rrds are just easier all around.

 >Do you know somebody, how i can do it? I need it very quickly..:-(

If you need it quickly and can't do it yourself, your best bet is to hire
someone to do it for you.

Thomas Erskine <thomas.erskine at sympatico.ca> +1.613.591.8490