[rrd-users] Re: traffic peak

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue May 27 14:11:26 MEST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:23:19PM +0200, Diaz Freire, Alberto wrote:

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alex+rrdtool+derive+negative&hl=es&lr=&ie=
> UTF-8&selm=b8706d%242ccg%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=1
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alex+rrdtool+derive+negative&hl=es&lr=&ie=
> UTF-8&selm=9lmq9j%24243g%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=2
> 	and I have read your documentation
> 		http://www.rrdtool.com/tutorial/rrdtutorial.html
>
> 	but still I do not know like solving my problem.

?

I think you found the right articles.  If you don't get it you should
ask more specific questions as I am unable to explain it in yet another
way.

> 		I do not know where and how I can use DERIVE and I wouldn't
> like to create a new data base .rrd because it would lose all data of months

DERIVE is like COUNTER.  The first article you found explains.

A new database with type DERIVE in stead of COUNTER will help, however:

I am not entirely sure but I THINK you can alter your existing database
using rrdtool tune; just change counter into derive and don't forget to
set the minimum allowed rate to zero.

HTH
Alex