[rrd-users] Re: rate of change

Aaron Spiegel spiegela at birch.net
Tue Nov 4 05:40:17 MET 2003

Alternatively, you could just store another value as a counter.  That
would give you the delta current and previous datapoint.
For more accurate "rate of change" you can fetch the data out of the
rrd (into perl for example), and use the perl Math::Interpolate module
to get a best fit function from the points with time being the x values
and y being the disk space usage, and then use Math::Derivative to get
the second derivative of that function.  The second derivative of a
function is by definition the rate of change.

I haven't done it yet, but am planning on it for a Nagios plugin...  If
anyone else has suggestions, I'm certainly open.

Aaron Spiegel