[rrd-users] Re: lost data on graph

Stephan Harren sh at abovenet.de
Thu Nov 20 13:42:23 MET 2003

OK, now I think I know your problem.

You were using the AVERAGE-consolidation when creating. So far so good. But
when you use thousands of values and only use 400 pixels of width, all the
values are consolidated to some (by averaging because it's an AVERAGE) and
from this the MAX is CDEFed, so you're going to lose your peaks. You cannot
force rrdtool to use step=1, just because it wouldn't fit into the graph.

As I saw, you changed behaviour in the scripts that you sent to me. There you
use the MAX consolidation so you won't lose peaks.

Is that understandable? If not, please get back to me.

HTH,

Stephan