[rrd-users] Re: Local time zone

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Nov 23 15:22:51 MET 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 03:16:43PM +0100, Robert Heber wrote:

> > Perhaps the updating process doesn't work as desired.
> I'm sure about it. This process is named "flowscan"
> and it fills my rrdfiles with wrong values.

Then go find out why flowscan is generating wrong timestamps.
Perhaps flowscan is using the wrong timezone.

> This might be the true and explanation, but I do not get why rrdtool
> have to translate this time from local to UTC.

That's just how it works.  Just accept it as a given.  ALL times are
UTC, that's why there usually are no problems.  Only when one process
(such as flowscan) is using a wrong timezone, this mechanism fails.

> > Search for differences in your environment when a job is started
> > from cron vs. an interactive prompt.  I bet you'll find a difference.
> There is no difference -

Then keep searching.  There has to be a wrong setting somewhere, or else
the rest of the world would have the same problems as you have.  They don't.

--
http://www.googlism.com/index.htm?ism=alex+van+den+bogaerdt&type=1