[rrd-users] How to compute the sum of a GAUGE

Jim Christophersen jimchris at trulan.com
Sun Nov 30 21:03:46 MET 2003

Hello fellow travelers,
Kudos & well done to Tobi & Alex! the rrd stuff is outstanding.

My outstanding MRTG experience continues with Rrd.

A question:

I am unable to construct a CDEF that computes the sum of a gauge variable.

It seems like that would be a case for the PREV operation.

However so far the I have not been able to apply PREV to the vname.

What can I do to construct a graph of the sum of the vaariable "sales"?

One would expect something like

CDEF:agsales=sales,UN,0,sales,prev(agsales),+

or CDEF:agsales=sales,UN,0,sales,prev(agsales),UN,0,+

But they generate RPN error messages.

btw this is on a win2k system, one that seems otherwise to be operational.

Thanks for any and all assistance

Jim Christophersen
Windward Engineering
New York