[rrd-users] Re: Newbie: "step" confusion, blank plots

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Fri Oct 3 13:31:05 MEST 2003

Because you defined this RRA:
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:18

Which will only hold the last 18 samples. It was adequate for the
example you gave earlier on, but if you want to graph a full week, you
must think more in the lines of:

1 week = 7 days = 7*24 hours = 7*24*3600 secs = 311040000 secs.
Sample time = 900 secs

No of rows to keep = 311040000/900 = 345600 rows
That would make:
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:345600

That are a lot of rows. Only useful if you are generating graphs 345600
pixels wide.
I would consolidate more than 1 primary point into a consolidated point
(=row).

Say your graph will be 600 pixels wide. Then 600 rows will be enough.
So take the average of 345600/600 = 576 primary datapoints per row:
	RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:576:600

Serge.

Thanks very much for your reply.  I'm still having problems with the
graph.  I put the exact commands I typed in, the data file, and the
output
image here:

http://ack.berkeley.edu/~mhunter/rrdtool

Why is the data squiggle so small, especially since I explicitly
(correctly?) set the start and end times?

Thanks again for your help,

Mike