[rrd-users] Re: RRD db setup for snow fall

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Oct 7 20:28:12 MEST 2003

This has to do with your time zone setting and rrdtool placing the sample at the nearest point where the time is dividable by your step size.
So that would be something like int(localtime/step).

The answer to this is: Set your step size to 1 hour and your heartbeat to something over 12 hours.

Also:

> /usr/bin/rrdtool create ../snow.rrd --step 43200 \
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:17532 \

you are keeping 17532 samples each worth of (6 x 43200) seconds.
That is 144 years of data in high resolution, you must have some big plans.. :)

> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:1344 \
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:17532 \

In this you have one redundant RRA and one enormous big RRA.
You may be better of with something like
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:1344 \
 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:78:1344 \

Make sure to look into how RRA's work.

Serge.