[rrd-users] Beginning of time for RRD file.

Louis J. Romero louisr at aspsys.com
Fri Sep 19 18:53:56 MEST 2003

Hello,

I am using both getStartTime() against an instantiated RrdDb object and
getLastUpdateTime() against an instantiated RrdDef object.  I somewhat
expected the getStartTime() to report when the rrd file was cre8ed and the
getLastUpdateTime() to tell me when the rrd file was last updated.

In both instances, they are returning the same values.  What I'm trying to do
is find the epoch for the rrd file so that I can prompt for a start and stop
time that ranges between the time the rrd file was cre8ed ( and subsequently
updated shortly thereafter ) and the time the last update occured.  I had to
hard-wire the start time based upon the dump sent to stdout when I initially
cre8ed the file.  Certainly O.K. for my prototype but, not O.K. for
steady-state operations.

What I'm looking for is the cre8ion date of the file without having to dip
into the O/S to get it.

Have I mis-used these methods and gotten off-track somehow?

Regards,

Louis