[rrd-users] MRTG Server crashing when netork is down

Davi de Paula Cabral - DATAPREVRJ davi.cabral at previdencia.gov.br
Fri Apr 2 19:48:04 MEST 2004

Hi Friends...

I use a RedHat 7.2, Athlon 1300 MHz, 512 Mb RAM, 20Gb HD, running MRTG with
RRDTool 1.39.

The network is huge, it is monitoring almost 1,000 points, using different
SNMP variables. Because of that, I prefer not use daemon and manage by
myself who is to run at the moment. I divided the job in 12 scripts, by that
way I divided each minute in 12 "5-second slices "; each script have dozens
of interfaces to monitor. All that stuff at crontab.

So, if the network stops, the MRTG Server breaks down, the processes full
the memory, the HD doesnt stop working, my SSH session falls, cannot login,
I can only reset the microcomputer.
Does anyone know a way to prevent the Operational System accept more
processes when it reaches a critical level of memory /  CPU usage?

or a way to capture an O.S. error variable and exit script ?

Please help.

Regards
Davi Cabral