[rrd-users] Re: wrong values when graphing with RRD

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Apr 20 21:22:10 MEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 05:24:38PM +0200, Fernando Nieto wrote:
>   You can see this in the attached graphs. Both shows the last 2 days data,
> I have only changed its width and height when I have created them.  Both
> graphs should show a peak of 5% near midnight, but in the "small" one is
> showed a 2.5% value and that's what the legend also says!! why??. If
> resolution was the problem, at least, the legend should show the correct
> value, don't you think so?

Yes, I don't think so.

You are thinking that MAX means maximum ever seen.  It is not, because you
are fetching the data from the AVERAGE.  You are printing the MAX of the
averages, not the MAX of the MAXes.

MAX(  AVERAGE(5,5) , AVERAGE(0,0) )

is different from

MAX(  AVERAGE(5,5,0,0)   )

and that is what you're reasoning fails to compensate for.

Alex